Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mom and Dad

They are aging pretty quickly these last couple of years.  Its been hard to watch, but yet we have lots to be thankful for.  They're still here...They're in relatively good health...They still remember our names...pretty much anyway.  Mom has been showing signs of major short term memory loss, and sometimes her stories are looped many many many times in a few minutes.  Amazing some of the things she will remember from 70 yrs ago and lots of things that are the immediate that she can forget! Well today Mom wanted an eye exam.  Dad drove her to town, (some 55 miles one way) and I met them for lunch.  We talked about an old neighbor and how he was a dominant type with women.  Mom all of a sudden remembered going after parts for the Dad when we lived at the farm and that day while in town, she picked up groceries. Now note that this story came out of the blue.  She said the neighbor was telling Dad how to save money while Mom was bringing in groceries from the car.  (The men folk were around the kitchen table discussing money woes.)  Mom said after she had brought in the last bag, the neighbor said "See there, right there you could save some money!"  " You could take away her keys!"  Well, Mom had to repeat that story several times before I could distract her long enough to move onto another topic.  While Dad sat there in amazement that she could remember a point in time some almost 60 yrs ago like it was yesterday.  He said, "Wow, and this is the first time I've heard that story?".  Mom on the other hand was getting more riled up just talking about that old neighbor.   I thought about reminding her that he(neighbor) passed away some 20 yrs ago, but she was so worked up over it...I just changed the subject.  It looped around again and I had to get creative and really switch topics.  I just keep telling myself that the reason I was challenged with my daughter Erin was to help me handle, deal and understand my parents now.  Trust me on my daughter Erin, she can throw a curve ball at me on any given day! 
So as my parentsdrove away from the restaurant...I was suddenly struck with how fragile they are.
so I followed them downtown to where Dad was heading to get his hair cut....
They didn't know I was tailing them and I just hung back and watched them...
Mom just hanging out waiting in the car....

thats when I hollered in and scared the bejeebas out of her.....
She cussed me like the dickens.  I do those sorts of things just to keep her on her toes.  She did wave me off though and if my sister is reading this...she did wave with just one finger.   MOM!!  She was chuckling like she had gotten away with something though. 
I think the devil in us came from my Moms side.  Sure she acts the innocent but truly she's the one who gets everyone in trouble and still she looks the angel.  She's always pretending to polish her halo. 
I've also decided today that while my parents are aging too quickly for me, its all Ok and I will just keep treating them like they still have it.    You just never know, but like I tell my own children "Your day will come and you'll be treating me extra special too."    Well you see, thats my Mom coming out in me there...kinda setting the stage for this ole girl to be looked after in her golden years.  Yup, I get that part from my Mom...sneaky that way she is!

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this and got a kick out of your mom. I am going through much of the same, as far as how fast my parents are aging now. It is too the point where, in the Fathers Day post I wrote about my dad, it was hard to tell if he was still living or had passed on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll all have our turn, patience is key whether they remember our names or not. They'll always be our parents. Hold them close, when they are gone memories keep us warm, but a good hug is hard to come by. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sneaky, dry wit and ....... "have you ever noticed?" .....yep, that is our Mom.

    Of course, from Dad we get. "aw hell, you can do that"

    It is a nice combo of genes we inherited that pair and we are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know...kinda' sounds like chemo brain. :) Yep, it doesn't matter if it is your parents or yourself, for that matter. We all age far too quickly. Except for the bad ones, which don't seem to age fast enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now thats funny! Not the chemo brain, that doesn't get humorous until after your clear headed again...but the aging on the bad ones..I'm still chuckling.

      Delete