Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 3, 2012

I LOVE my soap molds!!

Seriously, I love them.  They haven't failed me.  I think I make pretty rustic simple soaps and  while I'm experimenting with minerals and scrubs,  they allow me to make beautifully layered soaps.  They are so much fun to unveil. I get anxious to peak at the color layers too early sometimes and this last batch almost taught me a lesson.  I had only poured the soaps a couple hours prior to my unlatching the side to peak at the color layer...the color changes as it cures. The soap held straight and I was surprised at how fast it set...then...quickly it appeared to bulge and I slammed the side shut!  WHEW!  Debra, now don't be peaking like that again.  That would of been a mess.
 I also like to shave/grate colored soap curls for the top layer and press it into the mixture for a creative appearance..

 I've experimented more with the mineral colors and textures using the box molds.  My recipe has been so consistent that in the few years that I have made soap, only once did it NOT turn out.  Shea butter adds a creamy silky feeling to the soap and makes it highly addictive.  I love using this soap, but I really enjoy the colored layers I get to experiment with.  This soap mold is the best mold I've used.   So glad that son of mine made these!  They're getting some pretty solid use right now.

 I also experiment with the cutting of the soaps for eye appeal, but I am not very consistent with sizing.  I probably have some pretty hefty bars and should likely price my soaps by the ounce now.  I am always thinking of the customer first and want to make sure they get the slightly larger cut, and never think I can use the thicker bars for home.  What's with that!??  Not sure why I think I should only be using the scraps?  Its gotta be the (cheap)  in me...taking the scraps...or maybe its because I've been a Mom for some 36years.  Well today I'm going to use the largest creamiest cut of soap for just me!!  Its time I treated myself for a change, but I know I'll feel a little guilt.  I need to work on that...
p.s.
If anyone would like to purchase a wonderfully crafted soap mold, I can ask the boy...he likes doing stuff for me....yup he does.  At least I tell myself that. 

3 comments:

  1. I love your soaps,they are so pretty! I like shea butter in mine too and I wish I had know your boy was making molds before I bought mine as I would have surely got them from him instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soaps are VERY pretty!! I bet they are oh so yummy to use as well! I am going to remember your son makes those soap molds. I used my shhhh loaf pan tee hee when I made soap the one time :O). Molds would be nice to have if I make soap again.

    ReplyDelete